Did Buddha Really Look Like a Chinese Person?

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
In summary: Nirvana? I'm not sure what you mean. Buddhas exist in many forms, which is why you see different statues of him in different cultures. Some people find the chinese looking Buddha more calming, while others find the Indian looking Buddha more calming. There is no right or wrong answer, it's just a personal preference.Some people think reverting people back to their original form (before statues and idols were created) is achievable, but I'm not so sure. It's still an illusion, albeit a very powerful one.I always thought of Buddha as from India, but I think I know what cepheid is talking about with the fat Chinese Buddha.It's the same process as making Jesus look European.
klusener
When someone says Buddha, do you visualize a Chinese-looking person or an Indian-person (that he was)? I find it rather amusing that when you look at the earliest statues of Buddha, he has normal eyes (not Chinese eyes) and looks like an Indian, but as you go forward in time, the statue transforms into a Chinese looking person. I want Siddharta Gautama back looking like the hot Indian guy he was :cry: just kidding about the hot part.. Can this even be changed? I mean to revert people from thinking of China or something when someone mentions Siddharta Gautamaback to India? I know that the majority of the people who practice Siddharta Gautamaism :wink: are of Oriental background.. But still i want buddha back to his home.. :frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
klusener said:
I know that the majority of the people who practice Siddharta Gautamaism :wink: are of Oriental background.. But still i want buddha back to his home.. :frown:

You again !.. with your India is the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD threads !
I don't mind them, they are kind of funny so go ahead :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

I thought the idea was to transcend the need for visualizations because they are all illusions?

If you meet the Buddha on the path, KILL HIM! :smile:

Hey, I always got a kick out of Keanau Reeves playing Siddartha in 'The Little Buddha'! That was just too hilarious!:smile:

Last edited:
spender said:
You again !.. with your India is the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD threads !
I don't mind them, they are kind of funny so go ahead :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

klusener didn't start the last one called "Facts about India," he just made some fairly objective remarks in it, I thought. Some dude named "Biology" started it. :rolleyes:

We have both versions of the Buddha figure in our house. :biggrin: The Indian guy is slim, has a slightly pointed "hat" or head-dress anyways, and looks serene. The chinese looking one is fat, bald, and is smiling, yet somehow manages to look serene as well. Both are sitting cross-legged in meditation. The latter is green, and looks sort of like jade (but I don't think so). I'm not sure where my mom got either figurine. We are of "Indian descent", by the way, but are not buddhist.

I always thought of Buddha as from India, but I think I know what cepheid is talking about with the fat Chinese Buddha.

It's the same process as making Jesus look European.

As religions spread into other cultures outside of their original culture, the other cultures adapt the history and tradition to the local customs.

Buddha would dismiss statues of Buddha.

Read Dhammapada, follow the path, and do not worry about statues or idols.

Last edited:
I have a Buddha in my front garden (not sure which one, indian, round face), which is very unusual as I live in Brasil which is mostly catholic. It took me months to find it. Here, the norm is a small shrine in the likeness of Mary, so we are thought of as mad by our neighbours.
I'm not a buddhist (don't like labels), but I have it as I believe in what it stands for.
It is our protector and gives us our karma. Nothing more to say.

There is a pattern in the different appearances of the buddhas.

In oriental countries, such as China, Korea, and Japan, they tend to have chinese oriented temples with (most of the time) Golden buddhas. The buddhas themselves, look quite chubby with guardians on the side walls of the temple (pretty nasty looking). Also as you mentioned before, they have oriental shaped eyes.

Now let's go to countries in south asia, i.e. thailand (although i don't know if India follows this trend) and the buddhas tend to be much skinnier, with from what i recall, longer ears. Also, i don't think they build as much 'private' temples of buddha i.e. most of the buddha statues are made of stone and are quite giant.

But wait a minute we are all buddhas according to his teaching, so I guess that's why they make different statues like that. But what I have trouble telling people is you can still be some other religion and still practice Buddhism, because Buddhism is not a classified sect or something like that (even though it is made out to be), it is a state of mind and the journey to that state of mind (enlightenment) is the objective of Buddhism (all religions basically, but without worshipping a physical higher figure like Jesus or Krishna, etc..) But people refuse to believe that you can be a Muslim and still practice Buddhism and be a Christian and practice Buddhism...

Ice cream is ice cream, but it comes in many flavors, and some have a preference for a particular flavor.

There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but some maintain that only one is the correct path.

To each, one's own.

OM

Why do we chant Om?
Om is one of the most chanted sound symbols in India. It has a profound effect on the body and mind of the one who chants and also on the surroundings. Most mantras and vedic prayers start with om. All auspicious actions begin with om. It is even used as a greeting - om, Hari om etc. It is repeated as a mantra or meditated upon. Its form is worshipped, contemplated upon or used as an auspicious sign. Om is the universal name of the Lord. It is made up of the letters A (phonetically as in "around"), U (phonetically as in "put") and M (phonetically as in "mum"). The sound emerging from the vocal chords starts from the base of the throat as "A". With the coming together of the lips, "U" is formed and when the lips are closed, all sounds end in "M". The three letters symbolise the three states (waking, dream and deep sleep), the three deities (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva),the three Vedas (Rig, Yajur and Sama) the three worlds (Bhuh, Bhuvah, Suvah) etc. The Lord is all these and beyond.

The formless, attributeless Lord (Brahman) is represented by the silence between two om Chants. Om is also called pranava that means "that (symbol or sound) by which the Lord is praised". The entire essence of the Vedas is enshrined in the word om. It is said that the Lord started creating the world after chanting om and atha. Hence its sound is consi dered to create an auspicious beginning for any task that we undertake. The om chant should have the resounding sound of a bell (aaooommm).

Om is written in different ways in different places. The most common form symbolises Lord Ganesha. The upper curve is the head; the lower large one, the stomach; the side one, the trunk; and the semi-circular mark with the dot, the sweet-meat ball (modaka) in Lord Ganesha's hand. Thus om symbolises everything - the means and the goal of life, the world and the Truth behind it, the material and the Sacred, all form and the Formless.

www.saranam.com/Rituals/om.asp

I don't know why, but after saying OM for a while, I feel refreshed.. of course, you have to put some meditative thoughts in with it, but still it is an amazing word/sound...

i reckon jesus looks more american than european.

I thought both americans and europeans looked the same ... http://cafe18.uni.cc/images/smilies/dance.gif

klusener said:
I thought both americans and europeans looked the same ... QUOTE] :smile: Well, certainly the pale ones. :biggrin:

Related to Did Buddha Really Look Like a Chinese Person?

What did Buddha look like?

Buddha is often depicted as a man with a serene and peaceful expression, with a shaved head and a rounded face. He is also often shown with elongated earlobes, signifying his previous life as a prince who wore heavy earrings. He is typically depicted wearing a simple robe.

Did Buddha really exist?

The historical existence of Buddha is widely accepted among scholars. However, there is some debate about the exact details of his life and teachings, as much of the information about him was passed down through oral tradition before being written down.

What was Buddha's ethnicity?

Buddha was born in what is now known as Nepal, and is believed to have been of the Shakya clan, which is a part of the Kshatriya caste in Hindu society. Therefore, he would have had South Asian ethnicity.

What are the physical characteristics of Buddha?

In addition to the common depiction of Buddha mentioned above, some texts describe him as having large, dark eyes and a radiant smile. He is also often shown with a small bump on his forehead, symbolizing his awakened state of mind.

Why are there different depictions of Buddha?

Different cultures and artistic traditions have their own interpretations of Buddha, resulting in different depictions of his physical appearance. Additionally, as Buddhism spread to different regions, it adapted to local beliefs and customs, resulting in variations in how Buddha is portrayed.